So, what all is there to do on your Colorado dude ranch vacation? Sure, you can plan for R&R on the lodge deck or a nap in your cabin's living room. But you can't go on a Colorado getaway during the summer and not embark on a Colorado ranch adventure:
- Horseback Riding - We ride to waterfalls, to two different breakfast sites, out in the open sagebrush country, above Timberline and more.
- Hiking - All kinds, from an easy downhill hike with scenic views up the valley to a high elevation hike where you're apt to see abundant wildflowers and elk.
- Fishing - Never fished? We can teach you how at our stocked fishing lake. Experienced fly fisherman? Join us on our weekly high mountain lake trip to fish for native trout.
- Whitewater Rafting - Experience an exciting trip on the Arkansas River in a raft with Level III and IV rapids.
- Kids and Teens - Have their own fun activities: from ping pong ball races and "Western" pretend playtime for the children to a ropes course and overnight camp-out for the teens.
- Swimming and Massages - Be sure to include pool time as part of your Colorado vacation. We have two hot springs pools, two hot tubs and we can schedule you for a relaxing or therapeutic massage.
- Golf, Jeeping and more - We pay the green fees to two different nine-hole mountain courses, both beautiful with majestic views. Rent a jeep and experience the thrill of 10,000' mountain passes and scenery.
During your Colorado dude ranch vacation at Deer Valley, our staff is here to help you achieve your Colorado getaway goals: tie a line, pan for gold, mount a horse, learn to square dance, climb a 14er or discover that beautiful, out-of-the-way mountain spot to just stop and reflect.
During our Colorado ranch off-season, late August to late May, activities on and near the ranch are of a quiet, more mellow nature, but just as much fun. September in the mountains is a favorite month among locals. The aspens in the high country peak to their brilliant gold color typically around the third week in September. Hiking, four-wheeling, fishing or just taking a scenic drive up to nearby St. Elmo ghost town or Aspen Ridge are all fun ways to enjoy the cool, crisp Indian Summer days. For those who hunt, Deer Valley Ranch is located right on the border between two big game hunting units: 481 and 56.
Winter ActivitiesSki Colorado...and more! Winter brings fun snow activities such as snow-shoeing or cross-country skiing down the old railroad grade, downhill skiing at nearby Monarch Mountain or Ski Cooper, speeding through Tincup basin on a snowmobile or dog sledding in a pristine meadow. Our Colorado family ranch offers the perfect location and “base camp” for all of your winter adventures. Remember to pack your swimsuit to enjoy a soak in our outdoor hot springs hot tub at the end of the day.
Find out more about Deer Valley Ranch fall and winter activities.